It is a great day to work at the YMCA of Calhoun County!
Position: Day Camp Assistant
The YMCA always welcomes applications for all positions.
The YMCA is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Reports To: Day Camp Director
General Statement of Duties: Under the direction of the Day Camp Director, the Day Camp Assistant is responsible for conducting safe camping activities and maintaining a safe environment for all enrolled children until authorized sign out to responsible adult.
- To assist in the implementation and administration of the day camp curriculum.
- Perform such duties deemed necessary for fulfillment of the YMCA mission and goals of the day camp program
- Be responsible for the safe welfare of each child enrolled in the day camp program
- Provide effective communications with parents and fellow YMCA staff members
- Assist in the coordination of and maintenance of accurate records of the program in cooperation with the Day Camp Director
- Attend all trainings and meetings as deemed necessary by supervisor(s)
- Assist in operating the program within the policies of the YMCA of Calhoun County
- Ability to work professionally with staff and volunteers
- Ability to work with children in a day camp/classroom setting
- Adhere to drug free work place
Ability to lead and participate in all activities.
Typical Physical Demands
- Desire to work in a YMCA setting in accordance with the YMCA Mission
- Possess good communication skills with participants and parents
Requires full range of body motion, including manual and finger dexterity and hand/eye coordination. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires some exposure to communicable disease and/or bodily fluids. Occasionally requires lifting and carrying items and children.
Experience/Performance Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Communication skills
- Current Alabama driver’s license
- Knowledge of child behavior and passive discipline skills
- Ability to get along with others and work in a team environment
- Respect the right of children
- Respect the rights of parents
- Receive clear criminal background check (Pre-employment)
Job Title: Lifeguard
- At least 16 years of age
- CPR & First Aide Certification
Reports to: Aquatic Supervisor or Director
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Check the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Perform chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and training as required.
- Minimum age of 15.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification.
- Current Red Cross Lifeguarding.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.